The City of Philadelphia Mural Arts Program (Mural Arts), in collaboration with the Philadelphia Federal Credit Union (PFCU), is proud to announce an exciting new mural project that will celebrate the East Kensington/Fishtown neighborhood. We seek an artist or artist team that will create an original voice for the community through the design and installation of a new iconic Philadelphia public artwork.
Concept: PFCU is partnering with Mural Arts to produce a mural that will celebrate the unique character of the neighborhood of East Kensington/Fishtown. The artist will be a member of the East Kensington/Fishtown arts community and bring fresh perspective to Mural Arts’ ever-growing outdoor gallery of public artworks. The artist will work with the community on one paint day at PFCU where neighbors can come together to paint a section of the mural. The dedication will happen at the 2016 Philadelphia Federal Credit Union Kensington Kinetic Sculpture Derby &Arts Festival. Three finalists will be selected and contracted to create an original design for the mural. The three finalists will have their designs exhibited at the PFCU branch at 2136 E. Dauphin Street and on PFCU’s Facebook page for a two-week period, during which time community members will have the opportunity to cast their votes on the design that they would like to see as the final mural.
Goals for the Project:
- Create a mural design that celebrates everything the East Kensington/Fishtown neighborhood has to offer
- Celebrate and raise the profile of the East Kensington/Fishtown arts and culture communities
- Raise awareness of financial literacy and resources available to arts community, neighborhood residents and business owners
- Bring community together around production of a public art piece
Site: Highly visible wall near PFCU in Fishtown
Community: Mural Arts is committed to giving a voice to communities through a collaborative and project-specific community engagement process. We ask that the artist attend community meetings, work with us to develop a community paint day that will allow neighborhood residents to be involved in the production of the mural, and to consider other innovative ways of involving the community in the mural-making process.
Fabrication and Installation: The choices in fabrication and installation are based on the artist’s preference combined with what is possible in the budget. Mural Arts has years of expertise and will work closely with the artist throughout the process. Nonetheless, artists submitting proposals should have a firm grasp of mural-making skills and their proposals must match the funding requirements. Mural Arts will be responsible for maintaining the mural after its completion. The artist may choose to design and paint the mural him or herself. The artist also has the option to consider having the design printed on parachute cloth through an independent contractor with whom Mural Arts works closely, and to then paint and install the parachute cloth on the wall.
Phase 1: Planning - May to July 2015
Phase 2: Select Three Finalists - August 2015
Phase 3: Community Voting/Meetings: - September to October 2015
Phase 4: Production/Paint Days - Winter 2015 to Spring 2016
Phase 5: Production and Completion - Spring 2016
Dedication Event: May 2016 at Philadelphia Federal Credit Union’s Kensington Kinetic Sculpture Derby & Arts Festival
Budget: The artist will have a budget of $18,500, which includes artist fees (lead artist and assistants, travel) and materials (paint and sundries for the mural and any ancillary components).
Eligibility: This call is open to established and emerging artists, or an artist team, who live or work in the East Kensington/Fishtown neighborhood of Philadelphia, and who have a strong desire to celebrate the neighborhood (see attached map for eligibility). Please provide your residential/business address to confirm eligibility.
Deadline for Submissions: July31, 2015
Three Finalists Contracted: August 6, 2015
Final Designs Due: September 21, 2015
Design Exhibition at PFCU and Community Voting: September 28 to October 12, 2015
Final Selection Announced: Week of October 19, 2015
How to Respond:
Please send us the following elements:
- An Artist/Collaborative Statement of interest, two pages maximum, a) explaining how you would approach the project, including how you would engage the community in the conceptualization and/or creation of the project, b) describing relevant experience that would contribute to your success in completing this project, and c) confirming your availability to undertake this project within its timeline.
- A budget breakdown using the following as a general guideline:
- Lead Artist/Designer Fee (including any travel)
- Assistant Artists’ Fees
- Paint, sundries or other materials
- An image identification form corresponding to the order in which the digital images are listed describing the medium used, dimensions, partners involved, and dates created.
- A current Resume and/or Bio
- One page typed
- Include names and contact information of up to three references
Please also submit up to eight (8) digital images of your artwork).
- Collaborative teams may submit up to six (6) digital images per artist, but no more than 16 images total.
- All images must clearly be labeled with the artist’s last name, first name and number (order to be viewed)
Submissions can be mailed to:
City of Philadelphia Mural Arts Program
The Lincoln Financial Mural Arts Center
at the Thomas Eakins House
PFCU ARTIST PROPOSALS
1727-29 Mount Vernon Street
Philadelphia, PA 19130
Submissions can be e-mailed to:
Please contact Leslie.Lodwick@muralarts.org with any questions.