MURAL ARTS IGNITES CHANGE.
We create art with others to transform places, individuals, communities and institutions. Through this work, we establish new standards of excellence in the practice of public and contemporary art.
Our process empowers artists to be change agents, stimulates dialogue about critical issues, and builds bridges of connection and understanding.
Our work is created in service of a larger movement that values equity, fairness and progress across all of society.
We listen with empathetic ears to understand the aspirations of our partners and participants. And through beautiful collaborative art, we provide people with the inspiration and tools to seize their own future.
ANNUALLY WE ENGAGE MORE THAN 25,000 PEOPLE IN OUR WORK.
This includes more than 2,000 who enroll in ongoing art and muralism workshops offered by our Art Education, Restorative Justice, and Porch Light programs; more than 8,000 who co-create our stunning works of public art; and more than 15,000 who tour our multi-neighborhood collection. Annually, we produce between 50 and 100 temporary and permanent pieces which together tell an incredible story of Philadelphia’s beauty and resilience.
The Communications and Brand Marketing Department
Welcome to the hub of a vibrant, bustling communications machine. Working directly with the Executive Director, COO and in collaboration with the Communications Committee of the Board of Directors, this team of marketing professionals implements a communications strategy designed to engage the public and propel our organization’s mission. The department is responsible for promoting and communicating the impact of each facet of the organization within the framework of the newly adopted strategic plan and the parameters and discipline of the organization’s brand guidelines. Through excellent support for program and fundraising divisions, the Communications and Brand Marketing Department maximizes messaging clarity and impact, always positioning the Mural Arts Program as a world leader in public art and civic engagement and social transformation.
Summary of Responsibilities:
The Director of Communications and Brand Management will be responsible for guiding the development, evolution and impact of the Mural Arts brand. This leadership will guide the strategy for all communications to consistently articulate and represent the organization’s mission and core values. The Director will ensure that the Mural Arts brand stands for a creative, dynamic and art-driven change agent that engages and builds communities with a local, national and global marketplace.
The Director will lead a staff of marketing and communications professionals (currently four full-timers, plus interns) who will be charged with ensuring all communications – internal and external – are framed within Mural Art’s strategic plan and brand guidelines. The Director will work in close collaboration with Board and Staff Leadership to manage the consistency and effectiveness of all brand messaging development, be they major marketing campaigns, web presence, social media posts or daily email communications. The Director will manage the work of all marketing, media and public relations consultants to ensure all are working in service of the brand. The Director will also develop clear and consistent procedures, and training support for program staff to boost each individual’s project visibility and impact, while advancing the goals of the organization as a whole. The Director of Communications reports to the Executive Director of the City of Philadelphia Mural Arts Program.
- Manage the effectiveness, reputation and strategic vision of the Mural Arts brand.
- Co-create, implement and evaluate the Mural Arts communications plan on an annual basis in keeping with the priorities outlined in the strategic plan.
- Ensure that all of Mural Arts communications are compelling, timely and consistent. Everything should spring from the organization’s mission, values and strategic vision.
- Lead and guide collaboration on communications efforts that build and support greater visibility, engagement and value for the Mural Arts brand and its unique programs.
- Support the Development department’s efforts in the field of fundraising. Partner with Development staff on the creation of key materials such as annual appeal and annual report.
- Develop and maintain systems and procedures that support the communications strategy.
- Develop and provide training for Board and staff to communicate in ways that aid in program effectiveness and organizational coherence.
- Develop and manage budget for the Communications Department
- Oversee a select number of special events
- Build a cohesive and comprehensive communications program in which each initiative, no matter how big or small, builds on the brand equity created by prior communications and lays the foundation for even greater effectiveness with every forthcoming message.
- Strategic thinker
- Strong track record in creative problem solving, strategy formulation and message development
- Excellent communication skill: oral, written and listening
- Ability to build and manage a budget
- Results oriented
- Ability to build and lead team
- Strong sense of design and familiarity with the production of side of various media is preferred
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, board and external partners
- Knowledge of new and emerging media
- Ability to work in fast-paced environment and manage multiple tasks
- Must be able to attend evening and weekend events when required and be available for consultation outside of office hours.
- Bachelor's degree in business administration or related field.
- Minimum of five - ten years. Experience in communications, marketing, industry preferred.
- Driver’s license and access to a vehicle, since local travel is required.
- Expert level proficiency with MS office (word, excel, power point).
- Experience with budgets, income and expense procedures and reporting.
Salary: Competitive compensation, including health and dental benefits.
For further information on the City of Philadelphia Mural Arts Program, please visit www.muralarts.org.
Please provide cover letter and resume by June 30th addressed to Communications and Marketing Department at email@example.com.