The City of Philadelphia Mural Arts Program is seeking a talented South Philadelphia resident with excellent interpersonal communications skills, and a passion for engaging community members in neighborhood activities and events. The part time Community Organizer will be responsible for working with community leaders and local residents in South Philadelphia. The goal is to raise awareness and to build community participation for different local initiatives proposed by Cohabitation Strategies Mural Arts’ Restored Spaces Initiative. The community organizer will work as part of a project team. Within this group, community outreach is one of the strategies used to promote social and physical changes. The position is for 5 months, from May to September 2015.
Project location is in South Philadelphia, particularly in the neighborhoods bound by 6th Street to the East, 9th Street to the West, Morris Street to the North, and Oregon Avenue to the South.
1. Provide leadership for the development and implementation of initiatives requiring community outreach and organizing;
2. Work as part of a team of individuals with a range of specialties;
3. Act as project liaison with residents, representatives of local schools, leaders of community organizations, planning commission members, project coordinators and other partners;
4. Build collaborations and cultivate partnerships with the aim of supporting the initiatives by Cohabitation Strategies and the community;
5. Participate in regular meetings with participants and report on project activities;
6. Conduct community assemblies, facilitate community interaction, and develop dissemination campaigns;
7. Report to project coordinators on relevant local activities and outcomes on a weekly basis.
MINIMUM JOB QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
1. Minimum one year demonstrated direct organizing/base building experience;
2. Computer skills;
3. Ability and passion for building group cohesion and motivating others to action;
4. Good communication skills, written, verbal, and interpersonal;
5. Self-motivated and skilled at working as part of a team;
6. Ability to find creative solutions and to be adaptive to local constrictions.
PREFERRED JOB QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
1. Research skills, preferably in participatory-action research;
2. Fluent in spoken and written English and good in spoken Spanish;
3. Flexible hours, including willingness to work evening and some weekends;
4. Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work, Community Development, or Public Art.
5. Knowledge of Philadelphia (best if with a specific focus on South Philadelphia).
JOB SCHEDULE AND SALARY:
Salary commensurate with experience
May 4th through September 27th.
Please submit cover letter, resume, three references and salary requirement to firstname.lastname@example.org with Community Organizer in the subject line or drop off at Mural Arts Program, 1729 Mount Vernon Street, Philadelphia PA 19130. Deadline to apply: March 30th 2015.